Miami has a lot to offer this spooky season, from classic films to newer releases. No matter what you decide to do this Halloween, these events will keep you busy all month long. Here’s what we have on our radar from now until November 2:
- On October 22, the Rooftop Cinema Club will be screening Jordan Peele’s first film, Get Out. Even though it was Peele’s first film, Get Out transformed the horror genre by using clever filmmaking techniques to touch on themes of violence and racism.
- If you’re into more classic horror icons, check out Coppola’s 1992 film Bram Stoker’s Dracula. In celebration of the 30th Anniversary, Regal Theaters will be screening the film on October 23. The film stars Gary Oldman as Count Dracula alongside Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves, and Anthony Hopkins.
- In addition to Dracula, Regal Theaters will be screening the 1978 zombie flick Dawn of the Dead on October 28. In an effort to up the ante, the theater will also be screening the film in 3-D.
- Did you spend too much money on your costume and now have nothing to do? The Cosford Cinema at the University of Miami will be doing a free screening of Jordan Peele’s newest horror film, Nope. The screening will be on October 29 but be sure to register online.
- On October 30, O Cinema in downtown Miami will screen the 1975 cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The screening has become an annual tradition for the theater, which encourages their guests to dress as their favorite characters and participate in their “Freak Show Fashion Parade.” If you’re into raunchy musicals, fantastic costumes, and Susan Sarandon, then this film is for you.
- If you’re looking for something more lowkey on Halloween, the Coral Gables Art Cinema will be screening the 1989 horror comedy Heathers. Featuring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater, the film became the blueprint for the mean-girl trope that includes toxic friendships and weird boyfriends.
Kayla Melendez is a Senior studying English in the Literature track at FIU. Upon graduating, she has no idea what she wants to do with her life, as long as she is somewhere tan and happy. Naturally curious, she enjoys reading, writing, and watching films.